When it comes to online form security, you have to consider how the platform collects, stores, and shares information. Whether you’re building your forms with a WordPress plug-in or evaluating potential form building platforms, here are some common best practices to follow.
Six Web Form Security Best Practices
- Add branding and contact information. This may sound simple, but to ensure your customers see your form as trustworthy and associated with your company, make sure you can brand your form with the same logo and design as your website. You’ll also want to make sure your form provides contact information so users can reach you.
- Make sure your forms are encrypted. It’s essential that your submission data is encrypted and that it’s transferred and stored in a secure format.
- Understand what types of data you’re collecting. Depending on what types of data you are asking customers to share on a form, different laws might apply. For example, if you are taking payments online, you need to ensure that you are following PCI compliance, the rules that govern the collection and use of credit card data. If you are asking for personal health information, you are bound to adhere to HIPAA compliance. In this case, make sure the form builder you are working with can provide a Business Associate Agreement (BAA) if needed.
- Pay attention to who can access data. Much of compliance has to do with controlling who can access the data once it is submitted. You need to ensure that there are technical policies and procedures in place that allow only authorized people to access any protected information. Your online form builder should come with sophisticated security that lets you modify user roles, manage user permissions, and lock down content by roles.
- Ask about data centers and business continuity. Whether you are hosting on your own or partnering with your form building platform for hosting, make sure you understand what types of data centers are being used and how the hardware and network infrastructure are built and secured. It’s also best practice to ensure your data is backed up in real time.
Find the Right Online Form Partner
You have options when it comes to selecting an online form builder. Be sure to evaluate how your potential partners ensure the privacy and security of your data. From asking about how they encrypt forms to how they comply with regulations like PCI and HIPAA, it’s in your best interest to take an active role in vetting your potential partners.
Formulate takes privacy and security seriously. Sign up for a demo and let us show you how security is built into Formulate from the ground up.